Marinated Chicken Skewers, Hummus Yoghurt & Buckwheat Tabbouleh
Serves: 2 | Prep time: 75 mins | Cook time: 30-45 mins
- 4 wooden skewers
- 1 wholemeal pita bread, halved
For the chicken skewers:
- 4 skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- Half a red onion, cut in quarters
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Half a yellow capsicum, cut in sixths
- Half a red capsicum, cut in sixths
For the tabbouleh:
- 1/3 cup buckwheat, rinsed and drained
- Large handful parsley, roughly chopped
- Large handful mint, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Large handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
For the hummus yoghurt:
- 1 tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- Juice of 2 lemons
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Half a clove of garlic, crushed
1. In a large bowl, mix juice of 1 lemon, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, dried mixed herbs and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add chicken and coat evenly. Cover in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the wooden skewers by soaking them in water for 15 minutes.
3. For the tabbouleh, add buckwheat and 2/3 cup water to a saucepan and simmer on low-medium heat for 20 minutes or until cooked. Drain and rinse. Once cooled, add parsley, mint, cherry tomatoes, juice of 1 lemon and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and mix.
4. For the hummus, add chickpeas, yoghurt, juice of 2 lemons, paprika and garlic to a food processor and blitz until smooth. To add extra crunch, you can garnish the hummus with a small handful of chickpeas coated in paprika and roast for 20 minutes at 220 degrees.
5. Once the chicken has marinated, thread chicken, capsicum and onion onto the skewers. Heat a griddle pan over a medium-high heat and cook the skewers for 5 minutes a side or until the chicken is cooked through.
6. Serve chicken skewers immediately with hummus, tabbouleh and pita bread.
For more healthy and delicious recipes click here.