Homemade Baked Beans
Serves 2 – 4 | Prep time: 5 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes
For those with allergies or intolerances this recipe is both gluten and dairy free
- 1 an cannellini beans, drained
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp paprika, ground
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Fresh basil to decorate
- 1 tsp fennel, ground
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce*
- Pepper (to season)
*If gluten intolerant or allergic, be careful when choosing Worcestershire sauce as most varieties contain gluten
1. Heat a little olive oil in a pan over medium heat and gently sauté the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, stirring until onion soft.
2. Add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and spices and water and allow to simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add cannellini beans (after they have been drained and rinsed with water) and continue to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
4. Enjoy on fresh wholemeal bread with a side of smashed avocado! Season with pepper to taste.
For more breakfast recipes, click here.